What are art breaks, you ask? Well art breaks are anytime one takes a moment in time to create something, anything. Art breaks could be a brief moment or a scheduled creative session of any duration. They could be enjoyed by anyone of any age or circumstance. One does not need to be an artist to enjoy an art break. Anyone can participate at any artistic level or ability. All you have to do is pause for however long you wish and with intention create something…anything! Sounds fun right?
My Name is Jennifer MacIsaac. I am an artist, a teacher, and an aspiring children’s book author/illustrator!
I am a huge fan of art breaks. I am a lifetime lover of art. I love to create whenever I can. I also love to work with others, both adults and kids, to develop their own creative practice. I especially enjoy working with children as they are so open in their creativity. Thorough my work with children I began a love affair with children’s picture books. I love to use them in my classes, and I have begun a growing collection of my favorites!
- I graduated college in 2000 with a BS degree in Textiles, Merchandising, and Design and a double minor in Art and in Human Sciences.
- I worked several odd jobs through the years before taking some time to focus on my family as a stay at home mom.
- I am a Mother of two beautiful girls and a wife to a wonderful and supportive husband.
- My fascination with pedagogy led me to study the Montessori method where I obtained a certificate for the Assistance to Infancy level. I also spent some time working towards a Primary level certification though I never completed my training at that level. I am fascinated by the Reggio Emilia approach to early childhood, and the TAB approach to art education. I have spent many hours in self-directed study of these approaches, both of which have shaped my work teaching art to children.
- I spent 2015-2018 running a brick and mortar art studio, The Basement Community Art Studio . Through my art studio I have had the pleasure of working with many different types of creative individuals. I have enjoyed the creative play of infants and toddlers. I have helped to guide school aged children through creative discovery. I have watched as teens begin to develop their own unique artistic style. I have witnessed families creating together. I have helped adults who did not believe that they “had a creative bone in their bodies,” to discover a way to honor their own inner artist. I have ventured out into the community to witness and take part in the larger “Maker Movement.” Unfortunatly in 2018 I had to step down from my beloved studio to focus on my family’s financial goals.
- In 2017 I began a second small business, Creating Mindfulness. My business partner Dorothy Verbick and I lead monthly women’s circles and yearly retreats that encourage women to embrace their creativity and channel it into a practice in mindfulness. We use art and creative breaks as a way to channel ones creative energies and enhance self-expression. This beautiful business is still a growing focus in my life!
- Beginning in 2018 I accepted a full-time job as the Make Space Coordinator with the MUSE Knoxville, I am lucky enough now to get paid to facilitate a beautiful Maker Space that encourages children to explore their own creativity. I am surrounded daily by creative kiddos who will grow up to be tomorrow’s innovators and creators. It is very exciting to see those young minds at work.
My Vision of the future.
My ideal life would find me once again working for myself and able to meet my financial needs through my own creative journey! This journey is four fold:
- Author/Illustrator. My love of children’s picture books has inspired me to begin working towards a career as an author/illustrator. I have spent the last several years (off and on) toying with this idea. This past year I have finally created a story I am excited about. I will be spending this year researching and learning as much as I can about this business. I hope to polish my story into something publishable! I have joined Storyteller Academy and I am very excited for the work ahead of me!
- Creating Mindfulness. My work with creating mindfulness is very fulfilling. I am excited about the coming year and am looking forward to continuing to grow this amazing community with my business partner Dorothy Verbick!
- Art Instruction. I would like to continue teaching and leading creative classes and workshops for infants, children, and adults. I love to see the creative spark ignited in those around me. I am a true believer in the creative potential in every individual!
- Art Sales. I would like to focus more on my own art and sell originals, prints, and illustrations.
Heres to 2019 and the years that follow! I hope you will follow along on this journey with me. I will be keeping this blog as a way to record my progress. Please feel free to send me messages…or words of encouragement!
My Blog tabs will help me document and organize my journey:
- Art-Breaks for Kids– This is my collection of some of my favorite projects from my years of teaching art to kids.
- Art-Breaks for Adults– This is my collection of some of my favorite projects geared to adults.
- Thoughts– This is everything else, my ramblings and musings, my updates and ideas.
- Portfolio. This page is a work in progress. I hope to develop sub-tabs for it to contain samples of my work in different areas: Sketchbook, illustrations, Paintings, and Writing Samples. Stay tuned.
- Events. This tab will be links to any awesome events, classes, or workshops I will be taking part in.
- Shop. Coming soon! I will be updating my old Etsy shop to sell my art, prints, and cards…